Summer can be a point of contention for many educators. While some choose to work summer school, another job, or simply relax, the usual consensus is to take a well-deserved break. If you’re anything like me, I used to struggle with summer boredom and started finding ways that I could still have my peace but also continue learning and honing my craft at my own leisure.
Below are some ideas and starting points for professional summer learning opportunities, keeping in mind the importance of educators having fun, and helping make back-to-school easier!
Check out some go-to podcasts. Relax by the pool with:
- LINCspring Live - Check out a wide range of short, free workshops for educators everywhere. Maintain your freedom by listening to a pre-recorded workshop any time you please.
- Look into your favorite tech tool- they often have free professional learning!
- Culturally Responsive Teaching & The Brain by Zaretta Hammond
- Demarginalizing Design by Dee Lanier
- The End of Education by Neil Postman
- I Wish My Teacher Knew: How One Question Can Change Everything for Our Kids by Kyle Schwartz
In all seriousness, I encourage you to set boundaries and find your peace. However, if you find enjoyment in engaging in summer professional learning, go for it! If you need a brain break, also go for it. You know your capacity, and always remember to never pour from an empty cup.
Have a great summer! If you have other suggestions for summer PD opportunities, please share them with me via email at email@example.com.